Thursday, August 18, 2011

Clean up a mess with a mess!

I was making a grocery list earlier today, and somehow managed to knock a bottle of vegetable oil off the shelf and onto the floor. The lid popped off and some of that lovely oil spilled onto the floor of my pantry!!!!!

I am a pretty good "house cleaner," but I had no idea what you do to clean that up! So, I googled it. Surprisingly, I found several results. One person said to pour oatmeal on it to soak it up and another said use salt. It said you would only spread it around and make it worse if you just mopped. I decided to give it a try. I didn't know which would work better (salt or oatmeal), so I just used both.  I let it sit for about 20 minutes and swept it up. It actually soaked up the majority of the oil. After I swept, I mopped the area with dishwashing liquid (another recommendation from the website). Then, I mopped it with clean water. I wiped my walls down with the dishwashing liquid solution and again with a clean cloth. I really doubt the oil stains will come off the walls, but we will see when it dries. I don't really care anyway since it's in the pantry. It's not like anyone will ever see it. My floor doesn't feel greasy anymore, so hopefully that worked. My mom told me to get some degreaser and mop with that, too. I guess I will have to pick some up when I go grocery shopping tonight!

Bright side: The whole bottle of oil didn't spill. I can't even imagine how bad that would've been!!!!!!

Oatmeal and salt on the spill!

Oil soaked oatmeal and salt!

1 comment:

  1. I have done this exact thing before. I just ended up mopping it like usual, and I had a greasy floor for a few weeks. Not pleasant! Wish I knew then what I do now! Google's good for everything!

    ReplyDelete