Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Just call me "Superwoman!"

I desperately needed groceries last Thursday, and guess what . . .  Kyle had a meeting. So, I had to figure out a way to grocery shop with both girls without Kyle's help. We usually go together or one of us stays home with the kids.

I've taken them both to the mall by myself before, and it's not a problem because I can put them both in the big stroller. I can usually just hold my purchases or put them in the basket under the stroller. However, that wouldn't work for grocery shopping. I started going over scenarios in my head . . . .

- Harper in her carseat on the front of the cart and Sydney walking with her monkey backpack/leash. I used to think people were awful for putting their kids on those little leash things. Well, that was before I had to try and keep up with a toddler! I honestly love it because she can walk "by herself," but not wander off. Anyway, I knew this little setup would never work because Sydney would be complaining within ten minutes.

- Sydney in the little seat on the front of the cart and Harper's carseat in the main part of the cart. Well, that wouldn't work either because I would have no room for the groceries.

- Harper in the Baby Bjorn and Sydney in the little seat of the cart. Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! 

I now had a plan and we headed to Wal-Mart. I strapped on the baby carrier and pulled Harper out of the carseat to put her in it. Then, I got a big whiff of stink!! Not to be discouraged from my grocery shopping, I laid her down in the passenger seat of my Tahoe and changed her diaper. We were back in business! I grabbed a cart, loaded Sydney up, and off we went to shop. 

(I started not to post the next part, but it's too funny not too share. We all do it, so I figured I might as well include it.)

Things were going great! Harper was happy, Sydney was happy, and I was happy! I felt like Superwoman at this point! Then, it hit me! I had to pee!! I had three options . . . go home empty-handed, finish my grocery shopping in agony, or try going to the restroom with a kid strapped to me. Well, I decided to be brave and headed to the restrooms. Did I mention I hate public restrooms anyway?!? Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do! Sydney announced that she had to pee as soon as we got into the stall. We are still working on the potty-training, so I definitely didn't want to miss out on an opportunity for her to "pee in the potty." I'll spare you all the details, and just say that our trip to the restroom was successful!

I loaded Sydney back into the cart and off we went to finish our shopping. The rest was pretty uneventful. I got lots of looks and smiles from people as they passed us in the aisles. I'm not sure if they were feeling sorry for me or just admiring my super cute kids! I was worried about my ability to unload/load the cart during checkout, but it wasn't a problem. The cashier asked me if I was having a good day as she was ringing up my purchases. I told her that I was having a great day because this was my first time grocery shopping with both of them, and I survived. The lady behind me said, "Well, you look like you've got it down. I thought you must do this all the time!" Her comment made me feel good! 

I put the kids and groceries into the car and headed home. Feeling on top-of-the-world, I called to tell my mom what I had just done. Her response, "What do you think I used to do when you were little?" Apparently, she didn't think it was such a big deal. So, I think I need to send her to Wal-Mart with both of them alone. Then, she can get back to me! Just kidding . . .  I love you, Mama! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment