Thursday, July 28, 2011

Sydney's First Pet

We bought Sydney her first pet this past weekend . . . a Betta fish she named "Ariel." The fish is actually male, but oh well! It's not like he knows the difference! :)

Do any of you remember several years ago when people put Betta fish in a bowl with a plant? Well, I had one that lived for over a year when I was in high school. So, I ended up buying one for my classroom the first year that I taught. It died, and I never bought another fish. The bowl and plant had just been sitting in my classroom ever since. I thought Sydney might like to have a fish, so I brought the plant and bowl home last week. I just added new rocks and a new bow. There you go  . . . . an attractive, easy to clean home for a fish! We have the bowl sitting on Sydney's nightstand, so that she can reach to help feed him. She also likes to look at him when she goes to bed.

Here's a funny little story about Sydney and her fish . . .

We were getting ready to go to BounceU earlier this week, and Sydney came into the bathroom and grabbed a towel. She walked to her room with it and started wiping water off her nightstand. I asked her what she had done. She said, "Well, I was trying to pet my fish goodbye!" I managed to keep from laughing while we talked about not touching the fish. She started kissing the bowl "bye" instead!

We haven't had any incidents since then, so hopefully she will leave it alone. If not, we may have to move the fish to a safer place! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment